Naar Home

Measures coronavirus

Because of the coronavirus (COVID-19), the Dutch government takes a number of measures.

Help with financial problems

Are you facing financial problems because of the coronacrisis? We have several solutions. It’s possible that we may be able to help you.

Changing your student finance

  • You may still be able to apply for a supplementary grant. The supplementary grant is dependent on your parents’ income.
  • If you are not yet borrowing the maximum amount, you can (temporarily) increase your loan.
  • If you are studying at a university or university of applied sciences, you can also take out a loan for your tuition fees: the tuition-fee loan.
  • If you are not receiving a supplementary grant or only a partial one, but your parents’ income has decreased, your parents can apply to have the reference year changed. You may receive a higher supplementary grant as a result.

You can apply for a supplementary grant, loan and tuition-fee loan with retroactive effect to the start of this academic year.

If these solutions do not meet your needs, you can apply to us for financial help. This scheme runs until June 2021.

Applying for financial help

The financial help offered consists of an additional loan. You can apply for the additional loan if:

  • your financial problems are the result of the coronavirus measures and
  • you have applied for a maximum 'normal' loan, supplementary grant and tuition-fee loan with retroactive effect as of the beginning of this academic year.

DUO will decide whether you will be awarded the additional loan and how much. To apply for the additional loan, you will need to complete the form Aanvraag hulp bij financiële problemen door coronamaatregelen. The address can be found on the form. You will receive a response within 2 weeks.

The additional loan is payable starting from the month in which you apply. When you have completed your studies, you will need to repay the additional loan together with your normal loan.

Paying student debt and travel product fine

The repayment of your student debt continues as normal. You also need to pay a student travel product fine. If you do not pay on time, DUO will send you a reminder. You may find the following schemes useful:

  • If you have a student debt and your income has fallen, you can apply to change the reference year. This could mean that your monthly instalments will be lower or even € 0.
  • If changing the reference year does not solve the problem, you can apply for a payment-free period.
  • If you have a student travel product fine, a payment arrangement may also be possible.
Repayment of student debt from the Caribbean

If you live on Aruba, Curaçao, Sint Maarten or one of the other Dutch Caribbean islands, there are several options.

The application is arranged via Mijn DUO. You will need your DigiD to log in. If you don’t have a DigiD, please use a form instead.

Still facing problems?

  • If these solutions do not solve your problems, please send an email to Also include your citizen service number (BSN), address and date of birth. We will try to find a tailored solution to meet your needs.
  • If you have a payment arrangement and are no longer able to pay it, please send an email to Please also do this if you already have an appointment with a member of DUO staff.


To reduce your monthly instalment and change the reference year, please use the Opgave Inkomen voor verzoek verlagen maandbedrag 2021 form. To apply for a payment-free period, please use the Wijziging terugbetalen studieschuld form.