Foreign student

Particulier Your qualifications Working in culture-related professions

Working in culture-related professions

Applying for recognition of your diploma

If you want to work in a culture-related profession in the Netherlands, you must apply for recognition of your foreign training. Only EU citizens can apply for this.

To which professions does this apply?

Recognition of your training is required for the following professions:

  • General national government archivist
  • National government archivist
  • Provincial archivist
  • Municipal archivist (in line with the Public Records Act 1995)
  • Water board archivist (in line with the Public Records Act 1995)

What are the rules?

If you gained your diploma in the EU/EEA or Switzerland, you can submit it to us for assessment. You can see which conditions you must satisfy in the regulation Erkenning EG-beroepskwalificaties cultuurberoepen (in Dutch only).

What do you have to do?

  • Use the Recognition of EC professional qualifications in a cultural profession form to request recognition of your training.
  • Submit the required items of evidence with your application. Our postal address is given on the form. A certified translation is a strict condition for documents that are not in Dutch, English or German.


A request for recognition is free of charge.

Temporary or occasional work

If you are an EU citizen and want to work in a culture-related profession on a temporary or occasional basis, then a simple notification is enough. Use the Notification Tijdelijke en incidentele dienstverrichting cultuurberoep form (in Dutch only).


Please contact the department if you have any questions. You can call us on + 31 50 599 80 36 or send an email to


Verbergen Sluiten

Wat vind je van de website?

Om de website voor jou nog beter te maken, willen we graag weten wat je ervan vindt. Help je ons verder?

Ja, ik doe mee! (Externe Link) Nee, bedankt