Foreign student

Particulier Your qualifications Diploma legalization at our Service Desk

Diploma legalization at our Service Desk

Working or studying abroad

If you are going to work or study outside the Netherlands, you will usually need a legalized educational document (diploma, list of marks, etc.). You can arrange this at our Service Desk, in Groningen. You can also ask a family member or friend to have them legalized.

What are the rules?

  • Your document must be original, complete and approved by the Ministry of Education, Culture and Science (OCW).
  • Your document must be signed by a representative of your school or university.
  • Your document must be printed on original headed paper of the institution.

What do you have to do?

  • Log in to Mijn DUO to generate an extract of the details on your diploma. Go to 'Mijn studies en diploma's' and choose 'Diplomaregister'.
  • Go to Groningen to have your document legalized. Take the original document and the extract with you. Address: Kempkensberg 12, open on weekdays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. You do not need an appointment.
  • Go to the Groningen District Court (Guyotplein 1) to make the legalization definitive. The District Court closes at 04.00 p.m. You do not need an appointment.
  • If your destination country does not appear on the list of apostille countries you do not need to go to the District Court. You will then continue the legalization process via the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Your document is not available in Mijn DUO

If your document is not available in Mijn DUO, send a copy by email to We may still be able to legalize your document. You can also call us first: +31 50 599 80 36.


Legalization costs € 6 per document. You can pay this amount by PIN or in cash. The District Court also charges a fee - € 20 per document.

Legalization at fairs

Instead of coming to Groningen it is also possible to legalize your document at one of the fairs listed below. After legalization at the fair you go either to the District Court (not necessarily in Groningen) or to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to make the legalization definitive. Details will be given at the fair, if necessary.


Please contact the department if you have any questions. You can call us on + 31 50 599 80 36 or send an email to


Verbergen Sluiten

Wat vind je van de website?

Om de website voor jou nog beter te maken, willen we graag weten wat je ervan vindt. Help je ons verder?

Ja, ik doe mee! (Externe Link) Nee, bedankt