Money, travel, studies and repayments
Questions about studies, travel and student finance concerning the coronavirus (COVID-19).
How much can I earn?
The maximum amount for additional earnings does not apply in 2020. Some students in vital professions are working extra hours because of the coronavirus outbreak. To make sure nobody experiences problems, the maximum amount for additional earnings does not apply in 2020. Any earnings in 2020 will not affect your student finance.
I’m having financial problems as a result of the measures against the coronavirus. Can I get more student finance?
- If you don’t have a maximum loan yet, you can (temporarily) raise your loan. You can apply for it retroactively from the start of this study year.
- Maybe you can apply for a supplementary grant. The supplementary grant depends on your parents’ income. You can apply for it retroactively from the start of this study year.
- Do you already have a supplementary grant and is your parents’ income falling in 2020? Then your parents can request a change of reference year to 2020. This may result in a higher supplementary grant for you.
- If you are in university or higher education, you can apply for a loan towards the payment of your tuition fees: the tuition fee loan.
- Are you using the possibilities mentioned, but are you nevertheless experiencing difficulties? Contact us. Then we will discuss your situation. We will deal with it reasonably and offer an appropriate solution.
- Did you drop out or graduate? Then you are no longer eligible for a loan from DUO. We recommend you contact the municipality.
DUO can’t offer you financial compensation. You could check with the UWV (the Dutch employee insurance agency) whether you can apply for an unemployment benefit Link opent externe pagina.
Student travel product
Am I allowed to travel during rush hour?
Yes, students are allowed to travel during rush hour. Schools and universities have taken measures to prevent public transport becoming too busy during rush hour.
Will I get extra travel months because of the coronavirus?
Yes, you will receive 3 extra travel months. In May 2020 we sent an email about this.
To compensate students in higher education, any student studying at a school for Higher Professional Education (HBO) or university who used their right to student finance in March 2020, will receive 3 extra travel months. The student still has to be enrolled in a course that makes him eligible for student finance.
Students enrolled in secondary vocational education (MBO) don’t receive extra travel months, because they are already entitled to more travel months than students in higher education.
Do I need to cancel my student travel product in order to use the 3 extra travel months?
No, you don’t. If you study for more than de normal duration of your programme plus 1 year, the 3 extra months will be awarded automatically. You can cancel your travel product temporarily to avoid a higher debt. For instance, if you don’t expect to travel during these 3 months and you are not sure you will graduate before the 10 year deadline.
Can I temporarily stop my student travel product and save up travel months for later use?
To what am I entitled?
You are entitled to the student travel product for the regular duration of your studies, plus 1 extra year in higher education (HBO and university) and 3 extra years in vocational education (MBO). You can check in Mijn DUO how much longer you are entitled.
You can cancel your student travel product temporarily. But you can only save up the months you cancel if you cancel your entire student finance. That includes the loan or grant. A lot of students can't do that, or don’t want to do that, right now.
Do you only use the student travel product and don't you receive a loan or grant? And you wish to cancel your student travel product?
- Then cancel the student travel product at a pick-up device Link opent externe pagina. Do so before the 1st day of the month in which you no longer want to use it.
- Do you want to use your student travel product again? Then reapply for student finance. After that, you can reactivate the student travel product.
Cancelling when you're 30 or over
Are you turning 30 soon? Keep in mind that you cannot restart your student finance after you've turned 30.
My work placement has stopped or has been postponed due to the coronavirus. How do I stop my public transport compensation for students abroad? Or my grant for students living away from home?
Cancelling public transport compensation for students abroad
- Log in to Mijn DUO and switch your public transport compensation to a weekday or a weekend subscription. Make the change on or after the first day of the first month in which you would have received compensation.
- Will your work placement start later this year? Reapply for the public transport compensation in Mijn DUO. You will also need a new statement from your school or university.
From when can you travel again?
- Was your public transport compensation due to start from 1 June or 1 July? Your weekday or weekend subscription will remain valid and you can continue to use it.
- Was your public transport compensation due to start from 1 May? You will get a student travel product from 1 June. If you haven’t cancelled your student travel product yet, you can continue to use it.
- Did your public transportation compensation start before 1 May and did you already cancel your student travel product? You will get a student travel product from 1 June.
- Did you already cancel your student travel product? But do you want to use a student travel product in May? Please send an email to email@example.com. State in your email which subscription you want: a weekday or a weekend subscription. Your public transport compensation for May will be cancelled. Within 2 working days you will receive a notice stating when you can collect the student travel product.
Cancelling grant for students living away from home
- Did you receive a grant for living away from home because of your work placement? And are you now moving back in with your parent(s)? Then change your living situation in Mijn DUO.
- Did your work placement abroad end prematurely because of the corona measures? But does your lease contract abroad still continue? If so, please contact DUO.
I have applied for a compensation of travelling expenses. Can I submit the supporting documents later?
If your school or university isn't able to sign your supporting documents right now, you are allowed to submit them later. Do this as soon as possible, though.
If you are in the final phase of your studies, you may be eligible for financial compensation.
I am falling behind with my studies due to the coronavirus. Am I entitled to an extension of my graduation term?
The coronacrisis is an exceptional situation. That's why you may be entitled to an extension of your graduation term. Would you like to know if this applies to you? Contact the student counselor at your school or university. A request for an extension of the graduation term always proceeds through the student counselor.
Course or tuition fees
I can’t go to school or university as often, due to the coronavirus. Do I have to pay my full course or tuition fees?
- Do you pay course fees for secondary vocational education or adult education? Then you have to keep paying those fees in full to DUO. Even if you follow part of your lessons online.
- Do you pay tuition fees for university or higher professional education (HBO)? Then you have to keep paying those fees in full to your university or school. Any questions about this? Ask your school or university.
As an EU student, I won’t be able to meet the 56 hours requirement due to the coronavirus. What to do?
DUO is lenient about the 56 hours requirement, for as long as the corona measures apply. Is it not possible for you to meet the 56 hours requirement? Then DUO will look at the hours you worked before ánd after the corona measures.
As a result of the measures against the coronavirus I can no longer pay my debt. What can I do?
Repayments for your student debt continue as usual. You also need to pay . If you fall into finesarrears, DUO will send you a final demand.
Do you have problems repaying your student debt due to the measures against the coronavirus? You have two options:
- Is your income falling in 2020? The you can request a change of reference year to 2020. This may result in a reduced or even zero monthly instalment.
- Doesn’t a change of reference year solve your problems? You can request a payment free period.
Did you receive a repayment plan.fine? Check if you are eligible for a
Because of the exceptional situation, for the past few months DUO has not transferred any new overdue debts to bailiffs through the CJIB. From 1 september 2020 we will resume this. You will get a new notice about your overdue payments. Does this leave you in a difficult situation? Please contact us.