Compensation for students
In the final part of their programmes, students often do internships or other practical assignments. However, this has not always been possible during the coronavirus crisis. Also, there is no scope for students approaching the end of their programmes to make up any lost ground. Often, this has financial consequenes: their grants end, they have to pay tuition or school fees for longer and they start work later.The government therefore compensates these students financially.
2 financial compensation schemes
There are currently 2 financial compensation schemes:
- Compensation for the loss of your grant
- Compensation for extra costs due to study delay.
You don't have to repay the compensation.
Compensation schemes extended until 31 August 2021
Both compensation schemes are extended until 31 August 2021. Does your basic grant or additional grant stop during the academic year 2020-2021 and can you only get a loan after that? Or will you obtain a diploma in this academic year? Then you qualify for compensation.
Compensation for the loss of your grant
- You are doing MBO-BOL, HBO, or studying at a university (WO).
- Your last month of additional grant (MBO, HBO or university) or basic grant (MBO) is or was in the period June 2020 up to and including August 2021. After that, you can only get a loan.
You applied for an additional grant, but it hasn't been calculated yet? And is that why you don't receive compensation? Later this year we will review your eligibility for compensation. You will receive a notification.
The additional grant tool (Dutch only) will tell you what you can do to speed up the process of calculating your additional grant.
Do you meet the conditions? The compensation is a gift. You will receive the following amount, on a one-off basis:
|Your grant||Your compensation|
|MBO basic grant||€ 800|
|MBO additional grant||€ 1,200|
|MBO basic grant + additional grant||€ 2,000|
|HBO or university additional grant||€ 1,500|
As soon as payment dates are known, you can find them here. You do not have to apply for compensation. If you meet the conditions, you will receive a notification. It is therefore important that your contact information in Mijn DUO is up to date.
Any questions? Contact us by phone.
Compensation for extra costs due to study delay
- You were enrolled on a publicly funded education programme for at least 1 month in both the 2019-2020 and 2020-2021 academic years.
- You have:
- obtained an MBO diploma (BOL or BBL) between 1 August 2020 and 31 August 2021, or
- obtained an HBO Associate, Bachelor’s, or Master’s degree between 1 September 2020 and 31 August 2021, or
- obtained a Master’s degree at university (WO) between 1 September 2020 and 31 August 2021.
Do you meet the conditions? Then you will receive the following amount, on a one-off basis:
|Your completed programme||Your compensation|
|MBO BBL||€ 150|
|MBO BOL||€ 300|
|HBO Associate, Bachelor's or Master's Degree||€ 535|
|University Master's Degree||€ 535|
The compensation is a gift.
- Did you obtain your diploma before 1 February 2021? The money will be paid into your account by the end of March 2021.
- Did you obtain your diploma after 1 February 2021? You will receive notice about the payment later.
- Have you obtained more than 1 diploma in the period concerned? You will receive compensation only once. You will receive the highest amount.
No need to apply
You do not have to apply for compensation. If you are eligible for compensation, you will receive a notice from DUO before it is paid.
Did you receive student finance? If so, DUO knows your bank account number. You can change your bank account number in Mijn DUO.
Do you think you qualify for compensation, but did you not receive a notice or payment? In April you can apply for compensation yourself here.
Is your bank account number not known to DUO? We will send you a notice. In it, we will ask you to supply your bank account number. Otherwise we cannot pay the compensation.
Did you receive this notice? Then log in to Mijn DUO. Go to ‘Mijn gegevens’ and fill in your bank account number. If you cannot log in to Mijn DUO, you can use the form Opgave rekeningnummer (184Kb, pdf).
Do you move abroad after graduation? Then register your new address in Mijn DUO. Also install and activate the DigiD app before you leave the country. Then you are able to log in to Mijn DUO everywhere and will not miss the notification.
Do you not have student finance and does DUO not have your address? Then make sure that you inform your municipality Link opent externe pagina of your address abroad before you leave the country.