Working in education
If you want to work in education in the Netherlands, you must apply for recognition of your foreign training. This is only possible if your training is equivalent to a similar Dutch training.
To which professions does this apply?
Recognition of your training is required for the following professions:
- Primary school teacher
- Primary school subject teacher (possible for each subject in the curriculum of primary education)
- General secondary education teacher
- Vocational education and adult education teacher
What are the rules?
You can submit your foreign diploma to us for assessment. In addition to a valid diploma, you must also have a teaching qualification in your home country. If you gained your diploma in the EU/EEA or Switzerland, you can see which conditions you must satisfy in the regulation Erkenning EG-beroepskwalificaties onderwijspersoneel (in Dutch only).
If you are from outside the EU, we will assess your application against Dutch educational legislation.
What do you have to do?
- Use the Application for a Duth teaching qualification form to request a teaching qualification. Our postal address is given on the form.
- Submit the required items of evidence with your application. Our postal address is given on the form. A certified translation is a strict condition for documents that are not in Dutch, English or German.
- Application for a Dutch teaching qualification (pdf 121kb)
A request for recognition is free of charge.
Requirements regarding Dutch language and behaviour
Bear in mind that there may be requirements regarding your mastery of Dutch. In addition, recognition may also depend on submission of a Certificate of Good Conduct (Verklaring omtrent het Gedrag, VOG). If necessary, you will be informed about this during the procedure.
Temporary or occasional work
If you are an EU citizen and want to work in education on a temporary or occasional basis, then a simple notification is enough. Use the Notification Teaching on a temporary and occasional basis form.
Please contact the department if you have any questions. You can call us on + 31 50 599 80 36 or send an email to email@example.com.