Students in higher education who started receiving a student grant for the first time in the period 2015-2016 to 2018-2019, were given a study voucher if they obtained their diploma in time. That voucher could be used for a new degree programme. Instead of the voucher, you will now be given a sum of money. That will be offset against your student debt or paid out to you if you no longer have any outstanding student debt. In this case, it no longer matters if you start a new degree programme or not.
- You received a student grant for the first time for a higher education bachelor's degree programme in the period 2015-2016 to 2018-2019.
- You obtained your diploma within 10 years of the start of your student grant.
- You have not yet used a study voucher or you have used your study voucher for less than the maximum amount.
The change from study voucher to money will take effect on 1 September 2023. The earliest the amount will be granted is January 2025.
The amount for 2023 is approximately €1,850.
You do not have to apply for this money. If you graduated in or before 2024 and you comply with the other conditions, you will be awarded the money in January 2025. If you graduate in or after 2025, you will receive the money after the educational institution has given you your diploma.
- If you obtained your diploma from an institution in the Netherlands, you do not have to take any action.
- If you obtained your diploma outside of the Netherlands, you will need to send a certified copy of your diploma to DUO.
You will automatically be notified by DUO about what the changes will mean for you.
Not yet finalized
The plans are not yet final as they still have to be approved by the Senate. That will probably happen in June.