- Graduated, withdrew or switched
- Additional earnings
- Save up and use later
- Did not start the programme
- Withdrawing during your 1st year
Graduated, withdrew or switched
Did you leave or complete your programme, or switch to a programme that does not entitle you to student finance? Then you need to stop your student finance or your grant for students in secondary education.
Enter your details in the programme update assistant. It will only take a minute to find out what you need to do.
Are you in MBO (secondary vocational education)? Or are you in HBO (higher vocational education) or university and do you still fall within the old student finance system? If so, an additional earnings threshold applies to you. Before you exceed this threshold, you must temporarily stop your student finance and your student travel product.
- Log in to Mijn DUO to stop your student finance.
- Go to 'Mijn producten' and click on 'Studiefinanciering stopzetten'.
- Stop your student finance no later than the 1st day of the month you exceed the additional earnings threshold. Also do so if you only have the student travel product, since this is part of student finance.
- Cancel your student travel product. You need to cancel it no later than the 10th day of the 1st month in which you are no longer entitled to it.
No restarting your student finance after 30
You cannot restart your student finance after the age of 30. Take this into consideration when stopping your student finance.
Save up and use later
You can save up your student finance and your entitlement to the student travel product to use it at a later time. If you stop your student finance, you need to stop your student travel product as well, and the other way around.
- You need to stop all components of your student finance.
- You use up your student finance and entitlement to the travel product within 10 years after getting student finance for the first time.
- You restart your student finance before you turn 30. You can’t restart your student finance after that.
Did not start the programme
Have you applied for student finance but decided not to take the programme?
- Stop your student finance immediately in Mijn DUO. If you do this too late, you will need to repay any student finance you receive.
- If you already collected your student travel product, also cancel this immediately at a pick-up device.
If you enrolled in HBO (higher vocational education) or university, please go to studielink.nl Link opent externe pagina to disenroll.
Stopping your student finance in time
Stop your student finance no later than on the 1st day of the 1st month you are no longer eligible. After the 1st day of the month, you can only stop your student finance as of the following month.
For example, you are no longer eligible for student finance as of March. Then you have to stop your student finance on 1 March at the latest. If you log in to Mijn DUO any later you'll only be able to stop it as of April.
Withdrawing during your 1st year
If you withdraw during the 1st year you receive student finance, make sure to stop your student finance no later than 1 February. Then you will not have to repay your grant and travel product.