If you are no longer entitled to a student travel product, you must cancel it at a pick-up device. You can no longer travel with it from the 1st of the month.
If you have never collected the student travel product, you don’t need to cancel it.
How to cancel
- Go to a pick-up device Link opent externe pagina . They are situated at train stations, supermarkets and convenience stores.
- Cancel the student travel product. Most machines can be set to English. If not, follow these instructions.
- At the train station: hold up your card to the card reader, choose ‘stopzetten producten’, then ‘studentenreisproduct’ and choose ‘akkoord’.
- Supermarket or convenience store: put your card in the card reader, press ‘meer’, press ‘stopzetten reisproduct’ and then ‘stopzetten’.
- The day after cancelling your travel product, the confirmation will be visible in Mijn DUO.
- You don’t need to hand in your travel card. You can still add credit to it or use it for other travel products.
You can check right away at the pick-up device if the cancellation has been successful.
- At train station: Press 'Tonen'. If there is no student travel product visible in the next screen, the cancellation has been successful.
- In shop: Press 'Meer' and then 'Stopzetten'. If it says 'Geen stop te zetten producten', the cancellation has been successful.
When does your entitlement expire?
In the following situations you are no longer entitled to the student travel product:
- You left or finished your programme. Check with your school or university when you will be disenrolled.
- You are taking a programme which does not entitle you to student finance.
- You stopped your student finance.
- You are receiving an public transport allowance because you are going abroad.
- You are eligible for the student travel product for a set number of years, and this period has expired.
Make sure you know exactly when you will be disenrolled. You can check with your school or university.
If you are disenrolled on the 1st of the month, you are no longer eligible for the student travel product from the same month. If you are disenrolled later, you are no longer eligible from the next month.
For most MBO programmes, you can use the student travel product for no more than 7 years.
For HBO and university programmes, you can use the student travel product for the official duration of your programme. If the programme takes you any longer, you can use the travel product for an additional year. So if you are taking a 4 year programme, you are eligible for the student travel product for a maximum of 5 years.
Do you want to cancel your student travel product because you want to save up travel months for later? You can. But then you have to cancel your student finance (a grant or loan), too. You can do this in Mijn DUO.
The student travel product is linked to student finance. If you fail to cancel your student finance, you are still using up your travel months. Even if you don't use your travel product, or haven't uploaded it on your OV-chipkaart.
When do I need to cancel?
Cancel your student travel product on or before the 10th day of the first month in which you are no longer entitled to it. You are no longer allowed to travel with the product from the 1st of that month.
If you didn’t start your programme, but did collect the travel product, you need to cancel it sooner. Do so before the 1st of the month your student finance was due to start.
Prevent a fine, cancel in time
If you cancel your student travel product too late and continue to travel with it, you will be fined. In the 1st month after you should have cancelled, the fine is €81.40 per half a month. After that 1st month, the fine is €162.82 per half a month. The first half of the month runs up to and including the 15th.
Card lost, defective or expired
Have you lost your OV-chipkaart or is it defective? Then you need to cancel your student travel product via the OV-chipkaart Customer Service. Call them on 0900-0980.
Cancelling from abroad
Are you abroad and do you want to cancel your student travel product? If so, you need to contact the OV-chipkaart Customer Service Link opent externe pagina .