If you are no longer entitled to a student travel product, you must cancel it yourself at a pick-up device. This will not happen automatically when you cancel your student finance.
What do you have to do?
- Go to a pick-up device Link opent externe pagina . They are situated at train stations, supermarkets and convenience stores.
- Cancel the student travel product. Most machines can be set to English. If not, follow these instructions.
At the train station: hold up your card to the card reader, choose ‘stopzetten producten’, then ‘studentenreisproduct’ and choose ‘akkoord’.
Supermarket or convenience store: put your card in the card reader, press ‘meer’, press ‘stopzetten reisproduct’ and then ‘stopzetten’.
- The day after cancelling your travel product, the confirmation will be visible in Mijn DUO.
- You don’t need to hand in your travel card. You can still add credit to it or use it for other travel products.
Do you want to cancel your student travel product because you want to save up travel months for later? You can. But keep in mind:
- Do you also receive student finance (a grant or loan)? Then you have to cancel your student finance, too. The student travel product is linked to student finance. If you fail to cancel your student finance, you are still using up your travel months. Even if you don't use your travel product, or haven't uploaded it on your -chipkaart.
- Don't you receive any form of student finance? Then you only need to cancel your travel product.
When do I have to cancel?
Cancel your student travel product on or before the 10th day of the first month in which you are no longer entitled to it. You are no longer allowed to travel with the product from the 1st of that month.
Prevent a fine, cancel in time
Did you use your student travel product in the 1st month after you should have cancelled it? Then it costs € 78,29 per half a month. After that 1st month, the fine is € 156,58) per half a month.
Card lost, defective or expired
Have you lost your-chipkaart or is it defective? Then you have to cancel your student travel product via the -chipkaart Customer Service Department. Call them on 0900-0980 (normal phone cost).