If you are enrolled as a student in university, higher vocational education, or secondary vocational education, you can apply for student finance. You must be a Dutch national or have the same rights. This means non-Dutch can also apply for student finance.
Do you fail to meet the nationality criteria for student finance? Then you may still qualify for a tuition fees loan.
What is student finance?
- Student finance consists of different components, such as the basic grant (for MBO only), the supplementary grant, the interest bearing loan, the student travel product, and the tuition fees loan (for HBO and university only).
- You decide which components you apply for.
Don’t miss out on any money. Always apply for the supplementary grant. You only need to do so once. We will calculate every year if you are eligible.
Living at home or on your own
Are you in MBO? If so, you will get more money if you are no longer living with either of your parents Link opent externe pagina .
To receive student finance for students living on their own, you need to:
- be registered with the municipality on an a different address than your parents, and
- actually live on the registered address.
Your eligibility is based on the situation on the 1st of the month. If you receive student finance for students living on their own, we will check if you meet the conditions.
Are you unable to register on the address you live at? Sometimes you can still get student finance for students living on their own, if you apply for an exception:
- Log into Mijn DUO.
- Go to ‘Mijn producten’ and click ‘Studiefinanciering’.
- Go to ‘Privésituatie’.
- Under ‘Uitzondering inschrijving gemeente’, click ‘Uitzondering aanvragen’.
If you cannot log into Mijn DUO, please use the Aanvraag uitzondering inschrijving gemeente form to apply for an exception.
How much is it?
Go to Amounts to read the maximum amounts. Also check the Tax and Customs Administration website Link opent externe pagina to see if you are eligible for any benefits or a tax refund.
When does student finance start?
- student finance for MBO: from the after your 18th birthday. But you can get the student travel product before you turn 18.
- student finance for HBO or university: as soon as you start your programme, even if you are under 18. Usually this is from 1 September.
We pay the amount every month, towards the end of the month. Including the summer holidays.
Gift or repayment
Student finance is not always a gift.
Last changes made on 22 mei 2023