You have a study loan or you need to repay a lifelong learning credit.
Repaying a study loan
- You do not have to pay off your student loan immediately.
- Once your student finance ends, a preliminary phase begins on 1 January of the following year. This is a period of 2 years during which you do not have to make any repayments. At the start of the preliminary phase, the interest is fixed for 5 years at a time.
- If you return to education during the preliminary phase, it can be put on hold. This applies even if you do not receive student finance for your further studies.
- When the preliminary phase ends after 2 years, the repayment phase begins. From this moment on, you are required to make monthly payments.
Repaying lifelong learning credit
- Once your lifelong learning credit stops, the repayment phase starts on 1 January after.
- From then on, the interest is fixed for 5 years at a time.
- If you are not repaying a study loan, you repayments will start on 1 May. The time up to 1 May we will use to gather information about your income and your partner, if you have one. We need this information to calculate your monthly payments.
- Are you already repaying a study loan? If so, your lifelong learninbg credit will be added to this and your repayments will be recalculated from May.
How much do you pay?
How much you have to repay each month depends upon the amount you owe, including interest. DUO can also take your income into account.
You can use the calculation tool to estimate the amount of your monthly repayments.
For how long do you pay?
You have either 15 or 35 years to pay off your student loan. Which of these periods applies depends upon the repayment rules for your particular situation.
Repaying outside the Netherlands
If you live outside the Netherlands, there are various ways to repay your loan.
Reduced or zero repayments
In certain situations, you can reduce your repayments or pay nothing at all.
Early or additional repayments
You can also choose to make early or additional repayments. Several options are available.