- The supplementary grant is part of student finance. The grant is available for students in MBO, HBO and university.
- How much you will get depends, among other things, on your parents’ income and the number of siblings you have.
The amount of the supplementary grant depends on the following:
- your parents' income from 2 years ago.
- whether your parents are repaying a to DUO
- whether you have any siblings who receive a supplementary grant
- whether your parents are caring for any other school-age children.
Other school-age children in your family
The more school-age children are in your parents’ care, the higher your supplementary grant will be. This includes any foster children or stepchildren. For the calculation of the 2023 supplementary grant, the following children are included:
- children born in the period 1 Augustus 2004 up to and including 30 June 2011
- children born after 1 January 2005, studying at MBO, and eligible for a student travel product
- children aged 18 or over, who are in secondary education, special secondary education, or during the 2022-2023 school year.
The child must be registered on the same address as one of your parents. Only the parent the child is registered with, can include this child in the calculations. In case of co-parenting, the child must live with one of your parents for at least 3 days a week.
Your parents can check their notices to see which children are already included. Is a child not included, even though it meets the conditions? Ask your parents to provide the child’s details in Mijn DUO or to use the Wijzigingen ouders form.
Length of entitlement
- You will receive a supplementary grant for MBO for as long as you get a basic grant.
- You will get the supplementary grant for HBO or university for the official duration of your degree programme (usually 4 years).
Gift or loan
The supplementary grant for MBO levels 1 and 2 is automatically a gift. So you don’t have to repay the supplementary grant.
The supplementary grant for MBO levels 3 or 4, HBO or university becomes a gift if you obtain your diploma within 10 years.