New entitlement to student finance
Suppose that it becomes clear during your studies that you will never be able to complete the programme, or that you can never work in the profession for which you are studying. In that case, and provided that you satisfy the conditions, you may have a renewed entitlement to student finance. Your previous study history will be ‘forgotten’ and you will again have all the entitlements you had when you began studying. That way you can make a fresh start on another study programme.
You can apply for a new entitlement to student finance if:
- you have to withdraw from your study programme, and
- this is a direct result of a disability or chronic illness, and
- the disability or chronic illness arose, was diagnosed or worsened while you were studying, and
- you want to continue studying in a programme that carries an entitlement to student finance and that can be completed despite your illness or disability.
No possibility of new entitlement
You cannot apply for a new entitlement to student finance if:
- you switch from a Bachelor’s degree programme at HBO to the associate degree of the same programme, or
- you want to start again on the same study programme, or
- you have an illness or disability which, according to the educational institution, does not prevent you from obtaining a diploma for the programme, or
- you want to continue in the same study programme but at a lower level (e.g. if you switch from level 3 to level 2 within the same MBO programme), or
- the disability or impairment was known before you started studying and has not worsened during your studies.
Apply through student counsellor or study advisor
Notify your study programme as soon as possible if there is a risk that you will drop out. If you are studying at university or HBO (higher vocational education), contact the student counsellor (‘studentendecaan’). MBO (secondaty vocational education) students should contact their study advisor. The counsellor or advisor can help you to limit or catch up on any study delay. If you satisfy the criteria, your student counsellor or study advisor can also apply for a new entitlement to student finance on your behalf.
Consequences for your student finance
You are following an MBO programme
If your application is approved, you will once again be entitled to student finance for 4 years, followed by a student loan for a maximum of 3 years. You are also again entitled to a student travel product for 7 years. Your diploma period is recommenced for 10 years.
You are studying at university or HBO
If your application is approved, you will once again be eligible for a performance grant and a travel product for the official duration of your study programme. In addition, you can take out a student loan for a total of 7 years (longer for programmes lasting more than 4 years). Your diploma period starts again and is once again 10 years.