Conversion of performance grant
If you obtain your diploma within the 10-year diploma period, you do not need to repay your performance grant. It will be converted into a gift instead. In certain cases this may not be feasible due to enduring circumstances beyond your control. You can then ask for your performance grant to be converted into a gift.
Withdrawing during the 1st year of your programme
If you withdraw during the 1st year of your programme at university or HBO, you may not need to apply for conversion of your performance grant. Check first whether you can take advantage of the 1st of February scheme or 1st of September scheme.
You can apply for conversion of the performance grant if:
- you cannot obtain your diploma within the diploma period or you have to withdraw from your study programme, and
- you have fallen behind with your studies or dropped out as a direct result of long-term medical or non-medical circumstances, such as a chronic illness or permanent impairment.
No possibility of conversion
You cannot apply for conversion of the performance grant if:
- you decide to travel or start work, or
- you fall behind with your studies due to temporary circumstances, such as a non-chronic illness or the death of a family member.
Applying through student counsellor or study advisor
Notify your study programme as soon as possible if you fall behind with your studies or there is a risk that you will drop out. If you are studying at university or HBO (higher vocational education), contact the student counsellor (‘studentendecaan’). MBO (secondary vocational education) students should contact their study advisor. The counsellor or advisor can help you to limit or catch up on any study delay. If you satisfy the criteria, your student counsellor or study advisor can also apply for conversion of the performance grant on your behalf.
What happens next
We will notify you if your application is approved. We then adjust your student loan debt as soon as possible:
- MBO students: Your performance grant and stravel product are converted into a gift.
- University or HBO students: Your performance grant and stravel product are converted into a gift. Any performance grant for an MBO programme you previously received, remains unchanged.
We will inform you once we have adjusted your loan debt. You can also see the adjustment in My DUO.