Compensation for extra costs study delay
Are you falling behind with your studies and do you have to pay course or tuition fees for a longer period because of this? Then you can get a compensation for those extra costs.
- You were enrolled as a student on a MBO, HBO or university programme for at least 1 month in both academic years of 2019-2020 and 2020-2021.
- You were enrolled as a full-time, part-time or dual student. As an external student ('extraneus') or examination candidate ('examenkandidaat'), you are not eligible for the compensation.
- You obtained your diploma for the same programme you were enrolled in for at least 1 month in both academic years 2019-2020 and 2020-2021, and your diploma:
- is an MBO diploma (BOL or BBL), obtained between 1 August 2020 and 31 August 2021, or
- is an HBO Associate, Bachelor's or Master's degree, obtained between 1 September 2020 and 31 August 2021, or
- is a Master's degree, obtained at university between 1 September 2020 and 31 August 2021
- Extra condition for MBO: you were at least 18 years old on 1 August 2020.
You will receive the compensation on a one-off basis. The amount depends on your diploma.
|Your diploma||Your compensation|
|HBO Associate, Bachelor's or Master's degree||€535|
|University Master's degree||€535|
You can only get compensation for 1 diploma. Did you obtain several diplomas during the same period? Then we will look at the diploma with the highest compensation.
Notice and payment
Did you obtain your diploma after 1 February 2021? As soon as DUO has registered your diploma, you will receive notice. The date of registration may differ per program and individual. We will send notices on the following dates:
|2 July 2021||30 July 2021|
|5 August 2021||27 August 2021|
|31 August 2021||1 October 2021|
|1 October 2021||29 October 2021|
|29 October 2021||26 November 2021|
|29 November 2021||24 December 2021|
You will receive the compensation on the same bank account as your student finance. If you would like to change this, you can do so in Mijn DUO, under 'Mijn gegevens'. Sometimes you have to supply your bank account number.
The compensation cannot be offset against debts. Do you want to use the compensation to pay your debt? Then you can transfer the money yourself.
Did you obtain your diploma before 1 February 2021? If so, you have already received a notice, and you have received the money on 30 March or 16 April 2021.
Did you obtain your diploma after 1 February 2021? Please wait for the notice. You will receive the notice no later than 4 October 2021.
Did you obtain your diploma before 1 February 2021? But didn't you receive a notice? Then you can apply for the compensation yourself using the Aanvraag financiële tegemoetkoming voor extra studiekosten vanwege studievertraging form.
You can check in Mijn DUO under 'Mijn gegevens' if we have registered your bank account number. Did you receive a notice that the bank account number is not known, but has it been registered in My DUO? Then you don't have to do anything.
Is your bank account number not known to DUO, or haven't you received student finance for at least a year? Then we will send you a notice. In it, we will ask you to supply your bank account number. You can do this in Mijn DUO, under 'Mijn gegevens'. If you cannot log in, use the Opgave rekeningnummer tegemoetkoming extra studiekosten form.
Register your new address in Mijn DUO. Also install and activate the DigiD app Link opent externe pagina before you leave the country. Then you are able to log in to Mijn DUO everywhere and you won't miss the notice.
Do you not have student finance and does DUO not have your address? Then make sure that you inform your municipality Link opent externe pagina of your address abroad before you leave the country.
The compensation is a gift. You don't have to pay it back.