Compensation for extra costs study delay
Are you falling behind with your studies and do you have to pay course or tuition fees for a longer period because of this? Then you can get a compensation for those extra costs.
- You were enrolled as a student on a MBO, HBO or university programme for at least 1 month in both academic years of 2019-2020 and 2020-2021.
- You were enrolled as a full-time, part-time or dual student. As an external student ('extraneus') or examination candidate ('examenkandidaat'), you are not eligible for the compensation.
- You have obtained:
- an MBO diploma (BOL or BBL) between 1 August 2020 and 31 August 2021, or
- an HBO Associate, Bachelor's or Master's degree between 1 September 2020 and 31 August 2021, or
- a Master's degree at university between 1 September 2020 and 31 August 2021
- Extra condition for MBO: you were at least 18 years old on 1 August 2020.
You will receive the compensation on a one-off basis. The amount depends on your diploma.
|Your diploma||Your compensation|
|HBO Associate, Bachelor's or Master's degree||€535|
|University Master's degree||€535|
You can only get compensation for 1 diploma. Did you obtain several diplomas during the same period? Then we will look at the diploma with the highest compensation.
No need to apply
You don't need to apply for the compensation. If you qualify for it, DUO will send you a notice automatically.
Did you obtain your diploma before 1 February 2021? Then we already sent you a notice. Will you obtain your diploma later? Then you will receive the notice later.
Did you obtain your diploma before 1 February 2021? But didn't you receive a notice? Then you can apply for the compensation yourself using the Aanvraag financiële tegemoetkoming voor extra studiekosten vanwege studievertraging form.
Register your new address in Mijn DUO. Also install and activate the DigiD app Link opent externe pagina before you leave the country. Then you are able to log in to Mijn DUO everywhere and you won't miss the notice.
Do you not have student finance and does DUO not have your address? Then make sure that you inform your municipality Link opent externe pagina of your address abroad before you leave the country.
Did you obtain your diploma before 1 February 2021? Then you have received the money on 30 March or 16 April. If you obtain your diploma later, we will send you a notice about the payment later on.
You will receive the compensation on the same bank account as your student finance. If you would like to change this, you can do so in Mijn DUO, under 'Mijn gegevens'. Sometimes you have to supply your bank account number.
Is your bank account number not known to DUO, or haven't you received student finance for at least a year? Then we will send you a notice. In it, we will ask you to supply your bank account number. You can do this in Mijn DUO, under 'Mijn gegevens'. If you cannot log in, use the Opgave rekeningnummer tegemoetkoming extra studiekosten form.
The compensation is a gift. You don't have to pay it back.