Compensation for extra costs study delay
Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, some students had to pay course or tuition fees for a longer period of time. Until August 2021 these students could get a compensation for the extra costs caused by study delay. This arrangement no longer exists.
- You were enrolled as a student on a MBO, HBO or university programme for at least 1 month in both academic years of 2019-2020 and 2020-2021.
- You were enrolled as a full-time, part-time or dual student. As an external student ('extraneus') or examination candidate ('examenkandidaat') you were not eligible for the compensation.
- You obtained an MBO diploma (BOL or BBL) between 1 August 2020 and 31 August 2021, ór
- You obtained an HBO Associate, Bachelor's or Master's degree, or a university Master's degree between 1 September 2020 and 31 August 2021.
- Extra condition for MBO: you were at least 18 years old on 1 August 2020.
The amount depended on the diploma obtained.
|HBO Associate, Bachelor's or Master's degree||€535|
|University Master's degree||€535|
Notice and payment
If you obtained your diploma after 1 February 2021, you automatically received a notice. These notices were sent on the following dates:
|2 July 2021||30 July 2021|
|5 August 2021||27 August 2021|
|31 August 2021||1 October 2021|
|1 October 2021||29 October 2021|
|29 October 2021||26 November 2021|
|29 November 2021||24 December 2021|
|4 March 2022||1 April 2022|
If you obtained your diploma before 1 February 2021, you received a notice earlier. In this case you have received the money on 30 March or 16 April 2021.
Do you meet the conditions but have you not yet received a message on 1 November 2021? In that case, you can apply for the allowance yourself using the form Request financial allowance for extra study costs due to study delay.
Is your bank account number not known to DUO, or haven't you received student finance for at least a year? Then we will send you a notice. In it, we will ask you to supply your bank account number. You can do this in Mijn DUO, under 'Mijn gegevens'. If you cannot log in, use the Opgave rekeningnummer tegemoetkoming extra studiekosten form.
The compensation is a gift. You don't have to pay it back.