Your student travel product is not valid outside of the Netherlands. If you are doing a course or internship abroad, you can apply for a public transport allowance instead. For 2022, the public transport allowance is €104.42 per month.
If you are going abroad but want to keep your travel product active, then you simply don't apply for the public transport allowance.
There are 2 conditions:
- You must remain registered as a full-time student at your Dutch study programme.
- Your course or internship abroad must be a compulsory part of your Dutch study programme.
Starting date allowance
At the earliest, the public transport allowance will start from the month after your application. It is therefore important to apply on time, preferably 2 months before you go abroad.
Once we receive your application, we will check when your course or internship starts. If it starts on the 1st of the month, you will be entitled to the public transport allowance from that month. If your course or internship starts later in the month, your public transport allowance will start the following month.
- Download the 'Verklaring onderwijsinstelling bij ov-vergoeding buitenland' form and have it completed by your educational institution.
- Log in to Mijn DUO. Go to 'Mijn producten' and choose 'Studiefinanciering' or 'Reisvoorziening onder de 18'. Under 'Reisvoorziening', choose 'Wijzigen'.
- Upload the form in Mijn DUO. You will be notified when your request has been processed.
- Remember to cancel your student travel product from the start of the month when your public transport allowance begins. You cannot receive a public transport allowance for a month in which your student travel product is still active.
- Are you moving out of your parents' house due to your course or internship abroad? If you do MBO or fall under the old system for HBO and university, you can also apply for a grant for students living away from home. Go to 'Mijn producten', 'Studiefinanciering' and change your living situation behind 'Soort studiefinanciering'.
How long are you entitled to a public transport allowance?
You can receive the public transport allowance as long as you are entitled to the student travel product.
The amount of the allowance is determined per calendar year. That is why te notification you receive will only state the public transport allowance up to and including December. If your entitlement goes beyond December, you will receive a new notification when the allowance for the following year has been determined.
Cancelling your student travel product
In order to receive a public transport allowance for a course or internship abroad, you must cancel your student travel product. This is only possible in the Netherlands. So make sure you have done this before you travel abroad.
When you return to the Netherlands, you can reactivate your old student travel product again at a pick-up device Link opent externe pagina . If you are coming back earlier than planned, let us know via Mijn DUO. Do this in the month before you want to start using your student travel product again.
- Log in to Mijn DUO.
- Go to 'Studiefinanciering' and choose 'Mijn producten'.
- Click on 'Wijzigen' under 'Reisvoorziening'.
- Choose your subscription. If you cannot log in, use the 'Wijzigen studentenreisproduct' form.
If you cannot log in, use the 'Wijzigen studentenreisproduct' form.
Is your internship abroad taking longer than planned? In that case, you need to apply for a new public transport allowance to cover the rest of your stay. You can arrange this by completing the 'Aanvraag ov-vergoeding buitenland en/of uitwonendenbeurs' form. Part of the form needs to be completed by your educational institution.
Has your course or internship abroad been cancelled? In that case, you should notify us as soon as possible via Mijn DUO. You can also use Mijn DUO to let us know that you want to continue using your weekday or weekend travel subscription.
If you cannot log in, use the 'Wijzigen studentenreisproduct' form. Please note that if you use the form, you will have to wait a little longer before you can pick up your subscription.