Naar Studying in the Netherlands

Enrolling at school or university

Do you plan to study in the Netherlands, at the level of MBO (secondary vocational education), HBO (higher professional education) or university? In that case, you need to enrol in time.

Enrolling for MBO education

Are you going to study at MBO level? Then contact the school to arrange enrolment. Enrol by 1 April at the latest.

Some programmes set additional requirements before you can be admitted. Contact the programme for more information.

Enrolling for HBO or university education

Are you going to study at HBO or university level? Then go to Link opent externe pagina to enrol for your course of studies. Do this by 1 May at the latest.

Programmes with restricted intake

Some programmes at HBO and university level only have a limited number of places. We call these programmes with restricted intake 'fixusopleiding' in Dutch. If too many students apply for a programme then you will need to take part in a selection process.

Applying for a programme with restricted intake
  • You can no longer apply for a restricted-intake programme in the 2022-2023 academic year. For the 2023-2024 academic year, you need to apply via no later than 15 January 2023.
  • For each year of studies you can apply for a maximum of 2 restricted-intake programmes. This can be the same programme at 2 different educational institutions. But the rule is different for medicine, dentistry, physiotherapy and dental hygiene programmes: here you may only select 1 educational institution.
  • If you are selected, you must accept your place within 2 weeks via Link opent externe pagina Otherwise, your place offer will be cancelled.
  • Do you wish to take part in the selection procedure while you are abroad (i.e. not in the Netherlands)? Then contact the educational institution to find out what you need to do.

School fees and tuition fees

Everyone enrolled in Dutch MBO-BOL (school-based secondary vocational education) or full-time VAVO (secondary education for adults) and aged 18 or over on 1 August, must pay course fees.

Are you enrolling at university or HBO (higher professional education)? Then you’ll be charged tuition fees.

Student grants and loans

You might possibly be able to receive a student grant or loan. Even if you are not a Dutch citizen.


Are you from the UK? Brexit affects your studies in the Netherlands. For more information about the impact of Brexit, go to Link opent externe pagina